The Youth Grant Competition is open to youth leaders from PEMSEA's partner countries. Up to $2,000 will be awarded for the implementation of a winning project proposal for the sustainable development of coastal and ocean areas in the East Asian Seas (EAS) region.
Applicants must be 18-30 years old and a citizen of Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, China, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Indonesia, Japan, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Philippines, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste or Viet Nam.
Projects must be linked to sustainable development of coastal and ocean areas, preferably in collaboration with local government and communities that are implementing integrated coastal management (ICM) programs.
Project proposals should contain the following and should not exceed 5 pages:
- Project Title
- Background and rationale
- Work plan/activities
- Target partner
- Expected outputs/results
- Target beneficiaries
- Community/organizations/local government involved
- General timeline
- Estimated costs
- General Monitoring and Evaluation plan
Criteria for judging proposals:
- Have a clear rationale of the need for the project – 20%
- Feasibility of the project – 25%
- Must result in concrete benefits and positive impacts for coastal community / ecosystems – 25%
- Inclusivity: Must be developed with multi-sectoral stakeholders e.g. local government, communities, other organizations – 20%
- Monitoring and evaluation strategy – 10%
- Must support coastal strategy plan of an existing ICM site and include a partnership with a PNLC member – (bonus points)
Announcement of the selected project proposal will be on September 18, 2017.
The selected project should be fully implemented by October 2018.
A final report and presentation on the project’s impacts and benefits will be shared with other youth leaders in the region at PEMSEA’s Youth Forum in November 2018.